|Setting up linux-wiiu|
This page walks you through setting up linux-wiiu for the first time.
You should have these before starting with this guide:
- A Wii U
- Homebrew on the Wii U (Follow the guide at http://wiiu.hacks.guide to get Homebrew, Mocha is fine)
- An SD card
- A USB keyboard
- A display for your Wii U
- A PC or Android phone
- A USB drive for linux, at least 1GB recommended (All files will be deleted from this drive during the process)
- An internet connection for the items below:
- A flashable image (Available on a distribution's page or self-made)
- The files from the Downloads section of the table on the right
SD card setup
Connect your SD card to your computer or Android phone.
wiiu folder from
cfwbooter.zip to the root of your SD card.
fw.img to the root of your SD card.
Create a folder called
linux on the root of the SD card and then copy
dtbImage.wiiu into this folder.
You can now put the SD card back in your Wii U.
Follow the Flashing guide and come back to this page when finished.
Start up your Wii U and open the Homebrew Launcher.
You will see a blue screen with bubbles, a few rectangles with rounded corners and pictures and a button on the right with an arrow.
This is a good time to plug in your USB stick and USB keyboard.
Find the CFW booter app, it should have this icon:
Tap it and then the button labelled "Load".
You will now load into linux.
You should be able to log in with the username
root and password
You can change your password by running
passwd and expand the partition on the USB drive so you can use the whole drive by running